Outlined below are the general guidelines for math placements and the highest course in which students may enroll. Students should consult with their advisor at orientation to select the most appropriate course.
Students who feel that their performance on the Mathematics Placement Test does not accurately reflect their mathematical skills, and those students who wish to qualify for more advanced courses, have an opportunity to take a Math Proficiency Exam.
You can find your Math Placement Test results in Buckeye Link.
- L = Calculus level; students eligible to enroll in:
- M = Pre-Calculus level; students eligible to enroll in:
- N = College Algebra level; students eligible to enroll in:
- Math 1148 College Algebra
- Math 1130 College Algebra for Business
- Math 1125 Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I
- Math 1135b Number and Operations for Teachers
- Math 1116 Excursions in Mathematics
- Students should consult with a math advisor if they wish to drop down one level from the initial placement.
- R* = Intermediate Algebra level; students eligible to enroll in:
- S* = Elementary Algebra level; students eligible to enroll in:
- T* = Elementary Algebra level; students eligible to enroll in:
- Math 1050 Precollege Mathematics I
- U = Undetermined level
- Students did not place within the research predicted range of values.
- Students must retake the math placement test electronically for 2021.
a For Middle Childhood math concentration students only.
b Regional campus course.
* Remediation Free: According to State of Ohio Law, a student is not required to take remedial math (Math 1050 and/or Math 1075) regardless of the student's score on the Mathematics Placement Test if the student has earned one of the following within the last two years:
- ACT Mathematics score of 22 or higher
- Math SAT (MTHSN) score of 530 or higher
- Score of 55CLM (College Level Math) on the College Board’s Accuplacer tests
- 263 or higher on the QAS or AAF Accuplacer Next Gen tests
- 50% on the MapleSoft T.A.
- 46 on ALEKS for Math
- 18 on PlaceU (WebAssign) for Math
A Remediation Free Waiver and academic advisor permission is required. However, students are strongly encouraged to take the math course they tested into, especially if they are going to continue taking a sequence of math courses. This is a waiver that is filed by the student's academic advisor, not math advising. Please discuss this option with your academic advisor to see if remediation free is right for you.